Stitching Projects - Knitting Journal - Oxford - January 2019


This year, 2019, I have decided to explore texture & colours in my knitting. I want to record this through a journal & be inspired by my home in the English countryside or places I have visited. 
Knitting Journal 2019

Sheldonian Theatre, Oxford, UK
I currently design doll knitting patterns, but I know there is more to knitting than just 'stocking stitch' & trying to make the perfect looking doll, which doesn't look as if it is hand knitted. I have spent time designing dolls, weaving colours in & out of the work to make pretty patterns, when actually if I had looked at different textures through knitting, I could create something more pleasing.






My January project is about Oxford. I was born in Oxford & although I live only 20 minutes away, have lived here all my life. I popped into the bookshop with my children one day & as I came out, I quickly took a photograph of the 'Sheldonian Theatre'.


I made the photo into a kaleidoscope image for colouring

Basket Ribbed Stitch

Texture Tweed Stitch


Knitting Journal 2019



Texture Tweed Stitch 
I made the photos into a kaleidoscope image, & decided to use the colours camel, brown, blue & grey.











I used 'Basket Ribbed Stitch' to make the square. This stitch uses Knit, Purl & Slip Stitches.












As I enjoyed the colours so much, I wanted to reduce the amount to design a tea cosy. I chose camel, brown & blue, whilst knitting with the 'Texture Tweed Stitch'. I think this shows the colours individually, which is not a colour combination I would normally use.







By starting my Knitting Journal, I do feel that I have been more creative with the use of colours & textures in my designs. I am currently working on my February entry!





This is the original photograph & the 'Texture Tweed Stitch', which I have designed a free bookmark pattern & tea cosy pattern.






Bookmark - FREE KNITTING PATTERN


Lily Lupins Shop



Finished January 2019 - Joanna Marshall
Edith Grace Designs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.